Holy Cross field hockey upsets UML in final minutes

Shane Foley
Connector Editor 

“Often times, the final score doesn’t reflect upon the two teams,” said Kelly Freitas, remarking on the result of the River Hawks field hockey team’s 3-2 loss to Holy Cross on Friday Night.

UMass Lowell was able to keep a 2-2 tie late into the second half, when Kaitlyn Murray of Holy Cross was able to smack the ball past freshman goalie Kelsey Federico with only 1:25 left in the game.

“We have to train to play a full game,” said Georgia Cowderoy, who had a phenomenal game scoring one goal and assisting on another.

Holy Cross struck first with a shot from deep. The ball was played close to midfield, flying towards the goal and as it bounced, it was tapped in by Katy Cronin for a 1-0 lead.

“We went up and pressured the ball, and she shot it,” said Federico. “I didn’t think it was going to go in, but the forward made a good play.”

That goal was followed by a River Hawk goal less than a minute later by Georgia Cowderoy. “It definitely helped our focus when we were able to respond immediately,” said Freitas. “We have to stay focused for the entire game though.”

Immediately after the tying goal however, the ball was cleared into the middle of the field, where Maureen Connolly corralled the ball on a breakaway. She scored a quick goal to help Holy Cross regain the lead.

Cowderoy thrilled the crowd again right before the half to set up a game-tying goal for UMass Lowell.  With 27 seconds on the clock, Cowderoy drew two defenders and circled around the field to the near side, almost turning the corner, and just put a shot on net. The goalie played the ball, but luckily, Kristin Aveni cut to the net and was able to put the ball in.

“I thought I had a shot at a goal, but the goalie was right there,” said Cowderoy. “Luckily, Kristin was right there for the goal.”

The second half saw UMass Lowell dominate time of possession, but they were unable to get the ball past Holy Cross Goalkeeper, Maya Langman. The River Hawks got seven of their 17 shots on net in the second half, and Langman defended every one of them.

The game ended on a goal, scored off of a cross from Holy Cross’ Michelle McNeil. Murray saw the opportunity, fired the ball directly from the cross, and it found its way into the back of the net.

“I thought we should have got the win,” said Cowderoy. “There is [sic] definitely things we can work on though.”

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic